518 W Locust
Jim's research interests include immigration, institutional economics, economic growth, discrimination, and armed conflict. He is currently engaged in research projects linking the quality and stability of a country's financial and political institutions with the rate of emigration of skilled labor as well as linking security, conflict, and state failure with the rate of economic growth within a country.
In addition to basic courses in economic theory, Jim's teaching interests include the topics of Globalization, International Economics, Development Economics, and Institutional Economics.
Truman State University, Kirksville, Mo.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Master of Science in Economics, 2000
International Economics,Economic Development, Labor Economics, Political Economy, Institutions
Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Macroeconomics
1. "Marriage, Fertility, and the Selection of Women into High-Skill Industries" (with B. Basu), Applied Economics Letters, Forthcoming.
2. "Civil War, Ethnicity, and the Migration of Skilled Labor." (with A. Mitra) Eastern Economic Journal, Forthcoming.
3. "Brain Drain and Institutions of Governance: Educational Attainment of Immigrants to the US, 1988-1998" (with A. Mitra) Economic Systems, 2011.
4. "Gender Bias and the Female Brain Drain" (with A. Mitra) Applied Economics Letters, 18(9), 2011.
1. "Financial Reform and the Brain Drain: A Dynamic Panel Analysis" (with A. Mitra and P. Wunnava) IZA Discussion Paper No. 5953, 2011 (under review).
2. "Reducing the Impact of Ethnic Tensions on Economic Growth - Economic or Political Institutions?" (with A. Basu Choudhary and M. Reksulak) presented at the European meetings of the Public Choice Society, 2011.
3. "Predicting State Failure: A Classification Tree Approach" (with A. Basu Choudhary and W. Shughart) presented at the European meetings of the Public Choice Society, 2011.
4. "Gender, Governance, and Growth: Is Access or Opportunity More Important?" (with A. Mitra and A. Biwas; under review).
5. "Multidimensionality of Institutional Structure and its Impact on Economic Growth: A Dynamic Panel Analysis" (with A. Mitra and P. Wunnava; under review).
American Economic Association
Southern Economic Association
Public Choice Society
Download James Bang's CV (pdf)