Dragon Naturally Speaking
is a speech recognition software package for IBM computers. Via voice is the equivalent for MAC computers. It turn your voice into text three times faster than most people type with up to 99% accuracy. Dragon has three primary areas of functionality: Dictation, whereby spoken language is transcribed to written text; commands that control, whereby spoken language is recognized as a command to click controls; and finally text-to-speech, whereby written text is converted to synthesized audio stream. It works with the most commonly used desktop applications, including Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, AOL and more. Open and close applications. Control your mouse and entire desktop.
Who might use Dragon Naturally Speaking?
- Individual diagnosed with Neuromuscular Disorders like Multiple sclerosis, Muscular dystrophy, Cerebral palsy
- Individual diagnosed with Spinal core injury, Traumatic brain injury, Cerebro vascular injury, upper extremity disorders
- Health care personnel dictating charts
- People with decreased typing abilities for any reason
How much does the software cost?
The newest version, 10.0 can be found online at any website offering computer software. Prices range from $180.00 - $200.00. Jon recommends replacing the head-set that comes with Dragon with a higher quality set because it will make using the program much easier and accurate.
- Using a high-quality microphone: A noise canceling USB microphone is what I suggest for the best outcome using Dragon.
- Proper microphone placement is imperative. If the microphone is in the placed in front of your mouth when you're talking the air is buffeting the microphone causing additional noise and your recognition will suffer.
- Instead of saying " scratch that" to erase a misrecognized word, always try to say "correct that" as Dragon will learn how you pronounce the words.
- Limit background noise: a noisy environment will just be harder for Dragon to understand what you're saying.
- Train Dragon in the same environment where you will use it. The acoustical signature is unique in every room and training where you use Dragon will allow Dragon to understand your words with higher accuracy