Placement testing is required for all incoming freshmen who do not meet the General Education requirement for foreign language (completion of three or more years of the same foreign language in high school).
The placement test is available through the Student Success Center, at no cost to the student, and may be taken online.
To demonstrate novice ability/high proficiency, students may do one of the following:
- Successfully complete one semester of intensive beginning language (103) at SAU, or transfer equivalent credit from another college or university.
- Successfully complete two semesters of the same beginning language (101 and 102) at SAU or transfer equivalent credit from another college or university.
- Complete three or more years of study of the same foreign language in high school.
- Earn a minimum of 6 credit hours on the CLEP Test in a foreign language. (Note: CLEP credit in a given academic subject cannot be awarded if a student has already begun college coursework in that subject).
- Earn the appropriate score on the foreign language section of the SAT.
- Achieve a score on the approved Modern Language placement test for placement in 201 or above.