1. Opportunity to perform from the start of their undergraduate career in a variety of performing groups: Symphonic Band, Orchestra, University Chorale, Chamber Singers, Jazz Combo, and STAMVOJA (vocal jazz ensemble), as well as numerous solo and other small ensemble performance opportunities both on- and off-campus.
2. Individual attention and personalization of students' curricula.
3. Unique undergraduate opportunities to gain experience at composing, teaching, and conducting, including conducting large ensembles in a public performance.
4. Music education majors receive a great deal of field experience before student teaching.
5. All music education graduates who actively seek a teaching position are successful in obtaining employment in their field.
6. Excellent track record of graduates being accepted into the graduate school of their choice.
7. Close working relationship and collaborative spirit with other departments (i.e. musical theater, etc.).
8. Exceptionally dedicated and approachable faculty with a variety of musical backgrounds.
9. Faculty are active professionals in all areas of music.
10. An open, safe, and welcoming atmosphere where students and faculty are openly respectful and supportive of one another.