To be accepted to the nursing major students must complete an application form, meet specific prerequisite course requirements, and obtain CNA (certified nursing assistant) certification. To progress in the nursing major students must complete all prerequisite courses. Any person who has been denied licensure by any Board of Nursing, whose license is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in any United States jurisdiction, or whose license/registration is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in another country due to disciplinary action is ineligible for admission.
1. File a completed application for admission to St. Ambrose University (SAU) and request transcripts be sent to SAU.
2. File a completed application for admission to the Department of Nursing by January 5 for Fall semester admissions, and by July 1 for Spring semester admissions. Applications will continue to be accepted until all spaces are full.
2015 Fall applicants click here to apply
4. For students Entering Nursing Courses: Complete all prerequisite courses with a C grade or higher prior to admission to the Nursing Program. A student who has 2 unsatisfactory attempts (C- or lower grade or withdrawal) in any of the following pre-requisite courses is ineligible for admission to the Nursing Program.
BIOL 101 - Principles of Biology or BIOL 199 - General Biology I
BIOL 202 - Human Anatomy and Physiology
BIOL 204 - Advanced Human Anatomy and Physiology
BIOL 211 - Microbiology
CHEM 103 - Principles of Chemistry
PSYC 105 - Introductory Psychology
PSYC 212 or 305 - Life-Span Developmental Psychology
SOC 101 - Introduction to Sociology
STAT 213 - Introduction to Statistics
5. Complete all except 7 or fewer general education requirement credits.
6. Achieve a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above. Students with a GPA lower than 3.0 may submit a letter of petition to the Admission and Progression Committee explaining the circumstances related to the GPA and may be admitted on probation.
7. When a student's primary language is not English, the student may be required to demonstrate English proficiency by sending an official copy of one of the following English test score reports:
TOEFL iBT minimum of 79
TOEFL PBT minimum of 600
IELTS minimum of 6.5
8. After acceptance into the Nursing major, but prior to starting courses, students must create an account with Certified Background Check and submit evidence of all of the following:
a. Evidence of current certification as a Certified Nursing Assistant.
b. Complete a criminal background check.
c. Complete documentation of health information including but not limited to:
1) Health Form - history and physical exam report
2) Proof of health insurance (will be verified annually)
3) Up-to-date immunization history to include:
*Any student requesting an exemption from the above health requirements must submit a written waiver to the St. Ambrose University Department of Nursing.
d. Evidence of current Health Provider CPR certification, and maintain current certification throughout enrollment in the nursing program.
e. Nursing students must review the Core Performance Standards for the Department of Nursing, and sign an acknowledgement that they can perform the standards with or without reasonable accommodations to policies and practices.
Any person who has been denied licensure by any Board of Nursing, whose license is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in any United States jurisdiction, or whose license/registration is currently suspended, surrendered or revoked in another country due to disciplinary action is ineligible for admission.