518 W. Locust St.
McMullen Hall, Room 011
Dr. Archer's professional interests include social psychology; social inequality and stratification; the intersections of race, class, and gender; and the construction of social problems.
PhD, Iowa State University
Dissertation: "Middle Class Identification: The Influence of Interclass Context on the Moral and Socioeconomic Evaluations of the Middle Class."
MA, Northern Illinois University
Thesis: "Perceptions of College Student Drinking Behavior: Reality is Relative."
BA, Iowa State University
Majors: Anthropology and Sociology
St. Ambrose University, Department of Sociology and Criminal Justice
Soc 101: Introduction to Sociology
Soc 120: Social Problems
Soc/Crju 201: Introduction to Social Thought
Soc 220: Self & Society (formerly Social Psychology)
Soc 370: Social Change
Soc 380: Special Topics: Sociology of Work
Bradley University, Department of Sociology and Social Work
Soc 100: The Sociological Perspective
Soc 312: Social Inequality
Soc 313: Race, Ethnicity, and Power
Iowa State University, Department of Sociology
Soc 235: Social Problems
Soc 330: Ethnic and Race Relations
Des Moines Area Community College
Soc 115: Social Problems
Northern Illinois University, Department of Sociology
Soc 170: Introduction to Sociology
Social Psychology, Social Inequality and Stratification, The Intersections of Race, Class, and Gender, The Construction of Social Problems, Teaching Sociology, Sociological Theory, Research Methods and Statistics
Archer, Patrick and Ryan Orr. 2012. "Teaching & Learning Guide for: Class Identification in Review: Past Perspectives and Future Decisions." Sociology Compass 6(1): 97-101.
Archer, Patrick and Ryan Orr. 2011. "Class Identification in Review: Past Perspectives and Future Directions." Sociology Compass 5(1): 104-115.
Archer, Patrick. "From Helicopter Parents to Boomerang Kids: The Construction of Dependent Adults." Book prospectus being prepared for the Social Problems, Social Constructions series published by Lynne Rienner Publishers.
Archer, Patrick. "Paternalism on Campus: The Social Construction of College Drinking Problems."
Archer, Patrick. "Middle Class Identification: The Influence of Interclass Context on the Moral and Socioeconomic Evaluations of the Middle Class."
"From Populations to Problems: The Construction of Dependent College Students and their Drinking Problems." Paper to be presented at the Annual Meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society. Minneapolis, MN. March 2012.
"Paternalism on Campus: The Social Construction of College Drinking Problems." Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the Society for the Study of Social Problems. Las Vegas, NV. August 2011.
"Looking Up, Looking Down: The Importance of Class Status to the Moral and Socioeconomic Evaluations of Ingroup and Outgroup Class Members." Paper presented at the Annual Group Processes Conference. Boston, MA. August 2008.
"Rethinking Class Identities: A Social Identity Perspective." Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association. Boston, MA. August 2008.
(With Wendy J. Harrod) "Political Affiliation, Identification, and Bias." Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society. St. Louis, MO. March 2008.
"The Influence of Social Class Identity on Attributions for Occupational Mobility." Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society. Chicago, IL. March 2007.
"The Relationship between Gender and Perceptions of College Student Drinking Behavior." Paper presented at the Annual Meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society. Kansas City, MO. March 2004.
Research Assistant, to Dr. Susan Stewart for the NICHD-funded project, "African American Nonresident Fathers and Children," Department of Sociology, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa (2004-2006).
Attended National Longitudinal Surveys (NLS) User Conference, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio (Summer 2004).
Nominated for Faculty of the Year Award, 2010, St. Ambrose University, Davenport, IA.
Research Excellence Award, Department of Sociology, Iowa State University, Ames, IA (2008).
1st Place in the Graduate Student Paper Contest, Department of Sociology, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL (2003).
Member of American Sociological Association
Member of Midwest Sociological Society
Member of the Society for the Study of Social Problems
Member of Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society
Member of Alpha Kappa Delta Sociology Honor Society
Service at St. Ambrose University:
- Faculty Advisor to Phi Eta Sigma Honors Society
- Appointed member and co-facilitator of the Council for an Integrated Learning Environment (CILE)
- Elected member and chair (2010-12) of the University Life Committee
- Taught Social Problems in the learning community Rhythm and Change (Fall 2010)
- Participated in the 2010 Urban Plunge
- Volunteered to help with advising and academic orientation (Summer 2010, 2011)
- Volunteered to review and nominate books for the First Book Program
- Volunteered at Midnight Breakfast during Final Exam week (Spring 2010)
- Member of the Urban Immersion Initiative Task Force
- Participated in the Sociology and Criminal Justice Department's five-year review
- Volunteered to help students on move-in day (Fall 2009)
Service at Bradley University:
- Co-Faculty Advisor of the Undergraduate Sociology Club
Service at Iowa State University:
- Student Representative, Graduate Student Recruitment & Selection Committee
- President, Student Organization of Sociologists
- Vice-President, Student Organization of Sociologists
Service to the Discipline of Sociology:
- Member of the Midwest Sociological Society Committee on Teaching and Learning
- Co-Organizer of the session "Experiential Learning: Best Practices" at the 2010 and 2011 annual meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society.
- Organizer/Presider of the session "Social Identities" at the 2008 annual meetings of the Midwest Sociological Society.
Download curriculum vitae (.pdf)