• All students, regardless of major, who have successfully earned an AA degree and attained an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4-point scale, will be admitted to SAU with junior status. All students seeking admission to the Teacher Education Program must first apply and be accepted to SAU before applying to SAU's Department of Education. A cumulative GPA of 2.7/4.0 in all coursework is required for application to the Department of Education.
• Grades of "D" will transfer if the student's cumulative GPA (including D's) is 2.0 or above. All major courses and education courses must have a grade of "C" or better and students must meet the minimum GPA requirement of 3.0 for the Education major.
• Before gaining full admission to the St. Ambrose Teacher Education Program, students must pass the "Praxis I Combined Test" (#5750) www.ets.org/praxis. Test scores need to be available by mid-July for students entering in fall and by mid-November for students entering in spring.
• Students transferring prior to completion of the AA/AS Degree should also reference SAU's general education requirements.
• CLEP and Advanced Placement credit are subject to review for credit at SAU on an individual basis. Send these scores at the time you request a transcript be sent to SAU.
• A maximum of 64 community college credits will be applied toward the minimum of 120 credits required for SAU graduation.
SUGGESTED COURSES - The following courses should be included within the AA/AS Degree
|Notes||BHC Courses||SH||SAU Equivalent|
|1||HIST 105* or HIST 106** or POLS 122***||3||HIST 201 or HIST 202 or PSCI 101|
|1||MATH 100 and Math 200||3||MATH 210 and MATH 211|
|1||PSYC 101||3||PSYC 105|
|2||BIOL 100 or 101||4||BIOL 101|
|1||CD 200 offered fall only||3||EDUC 284|
|1||PSYC 290 offered spring only||3||EDUC 309 (lower division)***|
|HEAL 102||2||KIN 149 (1 hour)|
|3||HPE activity course (HPE 130-200)||1||KIN Skills|
|1,4||ENG 240 (Elementary Education majors only)||3||EDUC 369 (lower division)***|
|1||CS 210||3||EDUC 308 (lower division)***|
|1,5||EDUC 235 or EDUC 101 (min. grade of "B" required)||2-3||EDUC 205 w/SAU verification|
|CD 212||3||SPED 310|
|4||MUSC 207 or CD 207 (Elementary Education majors only)||3||MUS 244|
|6||Foreign Language||0-6||Foreign Language-General Education Requirement|
Total Semester Hours - 64-65
NOTES:Students' assessment scores might indicate the necessity of prerequisite English, math or reading courses in addition to the courses suggested in this sequence.
1. A minimum grade of "C" or better and a 3.0 cumulative GPA are required for these courses.
2. A total of 7-8 sem. hours required. Select one course from the life sciences and one from the physical sciences. A biology course with a lab is required. Please refer to Graduation Requirements for the Associate in Arts for course selection.
3. Early Childhood Education majors are required to present evidence of current certification in infant, child, and adult CPR and first aid before the student teaching semester. Certification may be earned through completion of HPE 200. Opportunities for CPR certification are also available through community organizations.
4. Elementary Education majors only.
5. Students attempting to enter the SAU Teacher Education Program are required to have completed 50 hours of participation on-site at a local school. Field experience must be recent and it must be related to the area in which a student seeks licensure. Students enrolled in EDUC 235 will complete 32 hours of field experience, therefore, additional hours will need to be documented prior to entering SAU or EDUC 205 will need to be taken at SAU.
6. SAU requires three years of the same foreign language in high school or two semesters through 102 at the college level.. Courses in sign language may meet the foreign language requirement.
7. Students are strongly encouraged to complete at least one Philosophy or Theology course prior to transferring to SAU. Students may meet up to six hours of the Philosophy/Theology requirement prior to transfer by completing one Philosophy course and HIST 222 at BHC.
8. ***Will not count toward 300-level requirement.
St. Ambrose Contact
Phone: (563) 333-6173
Black Hawk Contact
Mary Anne Dockery-Jackson
This guide is not intended to be a contract with SAU. The information of this guide is subject to change; students are advised to contact SAU to keep informed of changes. Final responsibility for verifying all transfer information lies with the student. Using this guide in conjunction with the BHC Catalog, the student will use to fulfill degree requirements.
Updated: September, 2013