tracking pixel
graduate admissions



student writing on whiteboard

Q: How long does it take to get a degree?

A: It takes as little as two years to complete most graduate level coursework. This schedule is partially dependent on the pace that you set for yourself. You'll find that some programs are offered in an accelerated eight-week format while others are offered in more traditional semesters.

Q: What are the tuition costs for a graduate program?

A: Tuition is determined per credit hour, and varies slightly in range depending on which graduate program you choose. For specific information you will want to contact the individual program.

Q: What financial aid is available?

A: Students may apply for financial assistance by completing a Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) online at As a graduate student, you are eligible for Federal Stafford Loans as long as you are enrolled in a minimum of six hours per semester for fall and spring and a minimum of three hours in summer semester. Financial assistance is unavailable for the winter term. Go to St. Ambrose's Financial Aid Office for more information.

Q: Are there any assistantships or scholarships available?

A: Graduate and departmental assistantships are available for most of our graduate programs and several other departments on campus. Eligibility varies. To find out more, click here. Tuition scholarships are offered for many graduate programs as well.

Q: What are the admission requirements?

A: Admission varies depending on the program, but most require a completed application, letters of recommendation, official undergraduate/graduate transcripts demonstrating a 3.0 GPA, and either an essay, GMAT, or GRE score.

Q. How many degree programs does SAU have?

A. 13 master's degrees and three doctoral degrees. View the list

Q. What is the minimum number of credit hours for which I must register to qualify for financial aid?

A: Six.

Q: What is the minimum number of hours for which I must register to reach the status of full-time student?

A: Nine.

Q: On what days and at what times are classes offered?

A: It depends on the program. With the exception of Master of Social Work and the doctoral programs in Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy, many classes are offered in the evenings, Monday through Thursday. Some classes are offered on Saturdays. In addition, a few classes are cross-listed with undergraduate classes and are offered during the day. Search for a program and class times

Q: What is a thesis or dissertation?

A: These are terms used to describe culminating research projects. St. Ambrose graduate students choose an area of interest and then, working with a faculty member or committee, develop a detailed research proposal. After the proposal is approved, the student collects data, analyzes it, and writes a detailed report. The thesis is an option for several of the master's level programs and the dissertation is used at the doctoral level.

Q: Do you accept adult learners or individuals already in the work force?

A: Yes! In fact, most of our programs cater to adult learners with evening classes and varied formats (online and in classroom).

Q: What factors can one use in deciding on a school?

A: The decision to attend graduate school is a very personal one that must be made on the basis of a variety of factors, including geographic location and size of the school, cost, class size, faculty composition and cohesiveness (i.e. number of years working together), previous degree(s) awarded, and design and length of curriculum. In an effort to compare the above factors, you may wish to survey current students and recent graduates of the program and interview employers who hire graduates and ask about program strengths and weaknesses.

Q: What is St. Ambrose going to do to make me as marketable as possible when I graduate and enter into the job market?

A: Ambrose graduates are highly sought by employers. The Career Center helps students develop professional resumes and cover letters. Faculty serve as references and guide students in the establishment of one's own professional development plan.

Q: What services are available to me as a graduate student?

A: Services in the Career Center, Graduate Writing Center (which can help with writing papers), and the Counseling Center are free of charge to all Ambrose students and have extended evening hours to meet the needs of all students. Your SAU ID card grants you free admission to most events in the Galvin Fine Arts Center, as well as athletic events. You also will have access to the Wellness and Recreation Center and the SAU Library.