The items listed below are a short summary of the Library's policies. For more complete details, consult a reference librarian.
The Library was established to support the students, faculty and staff of St. Ambrose University. Under established guidelines, adult community residents may also use the facility as long as that use does not negatively impact use by St. Ambrose students, faculty and staff.
- Youth under the age of 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
- Use of the Library Conference Room is scheduled by the Library Administrative Assistant. The primary uses are for library-related meetings. Non-library use is limited to University-associated meetings.
- Use of group and individual study rooms is limited to St. Ambrose faculty, staff, and students.
The Library accepts and subscribes to the St. Ambrose University Network Policy and SAUNET Acceptable Use Policy. Library computers are primarily for finding information from research databases and the Internet, and for word processing and spreadsheet use. Viewing of pornography is prohibited.
- St. Ambrose students, faculty and staff have first rights to use of the computers.
- Misusing or vandalizing computers in any way is subject to penalties established by the campus network use agreement. If the person misusing or vandalizing the computers is not associated with SAU, campus security shall be notified immediately.
- Computers on the first floor are networked to laser printers in the front and back areas. There is a shared printer on the north side of the balcony for the third floor computers. People not affiliated with St. Ambrose University may print at a cost of 5 cents per page. Papers not picked up within 24 hours will be recycled.
- Library computers are turned off 15 minutes before the closing of the Library.
Interlibrary loan (ILL) services are available to St. Ambrose students, faculty and staff only. ILL requests may be initiated with the help of a reference librarian, or be self-generated through the use of the online form.
In some instances there may be restrictions placed on borrowed materials (e.g. textbooks or fragile materials may be designated as "in-library use" only). If you have questions or need assistance requesting an item, please call the Reference Desk (563) 333.6245, or the ILL Department (563) 333-6467.
Circulation of Materials
- The Library participates in a resource sharing cooperative called RiverShare. Library cards from other local libraries are accepted for check-out of library materials. St. Ambrose students, faculty and staff must present a St. Ambrose ID card coded with a library barcode to access special services and to check out library materials.
- Reference materials are for in-library use only.
- The Leisure Reading Collection and the entertainment DVD collection are for use by St. Ambrose students, faculty and staff only.
- Newspapers, periodicals, and audio-visual materials are for in-library use only.
- Circulating materials may be checked out for a 3-week loan period, with one renewal, subject to recall.
- Overdue fines for books are 10 cents/day. Overdue DVDs will be assessed a $1/day fee. Items that are lost or damaged will be billed at the list price plus a $10 processing fee.
- The Library accepts and subscribes to the policy on Confidentiality of Library Records as outlined by the American Library Association and the Iowa Code, Chapter 22.7, Section 13.
The Library gratefully accepts donations of materials as long as the donor understands that the Library staff reserves the right to determine the usefulness of each item to our collection. The Library staff is free to add or dispose of the items as they deem appropriate.
The Library does NOT establish a value for items donated. The donor must establish a value for income tax purposes.