Several goals have been set for the new Institute.
- Provide a nonpartisan public forum for the community to engage thoughtfully with key issues impacting the region
- Regularly host scholars and artists who will enhance knowledge about the Middle East at the University and in the wider community
- Become a regional hub for information and resources about the Middle East
- Grow partnerships with Middle Eastern academic institutions in order to facilitate faculty and student exchanges and distance education
- Engage in dialogue about Middle Eastern peace-building and reconciliation initiatives
- Develop curricular pathways and other access points for the study of the Middle East at SAU
- Collaborate with like-minded local and regional organizations such as the Stanley Foundation, the World Affairs Council of the Quad Cities, the Jewish Federation of the Quad Cities, and the Islamic Center of the Quad Cities