Fighting Bees football players collected some impressive post-season accolades following a 9-2 season that saw them score a share of the Mid-States Football Association Midwest Division title.
- Junior linebacker Jeremy Wallace was named to the 2012 American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) NAIA Coaches' All-America team. Wallace set a St. Ambrose single-season school record by recording 141 total tackles this year. His 12.8 tackles per game was the third-best mark in the country.
- Alex Berg, a senior offensive lineman, and Andrew Friederich, a junior tight end, were named to the 2012 Capital One Academic All-American College Division Football first team. They followed men's soccer player Matt Kraciun and women's player Morgan Lynn in winning national all-academic honors in the fall semester. Berg carries a 3.80 grade-point average, majoring in physical education, while Friederich, a chemistry pre-med major, had a 3.60 GPA.
- At the fall sports banquet on Dec. 9, Berg was named the second winner of the Bob Jurevitz Award as the SAU player who best exemplifies toughness, work ethic and leadership, qualities possessed by Jurevitz '79, the all-time SAU scoring leader who died of Lou Gehrig's Disease a year ago. Berg also was selected to play in the DII-NAIA Senior Bowl in Myrtle Beach, S.C., on Dec. 15.
- Also at the sports banquet, Champions of Character winners were revealed for all five fall sports. The five winners were chosen as exemplars of five core values - integrity, respect, responsibility, sportsmanship and service leadership. The winners were sophomore men's soccer player Rob Prior, sophomore football player Steve Thomas, senior men's cross country runner Ryan Buchanan, sophomore volleyball player Meagan Hruska, sophomore women's soccer player Sydney Worsham and senior women's cross country runner Chelsee Lisk.
- The St. Ambrose dance team won its third consecutive state championship in the Dec. 4 Iowa State Dance Team Association championship in Des Moines, besting teams from 22 other colleges and universities.
- The men's basketball team rallied to take a lead down the stretch but dropped what will be its last meeting with cross-river QC rival Augustana 77-69 on Dec. 5 in Rock Island, Ill. The men sport a 6-6 record thanks to a first-round forfeit in this week's Saint Xavier Midwest Tournament in Chicago. They will play in the semifinals on Friday.
- The SAU Queen Bees improved to 10-2 with a Tuesday win over Missouri Valley. They will return to action in the Chicago area after Christmas, at Judson in Elgin on Dec. 29 and at Roosevelt in Chicago on Dec. 30. Both basketball squads will open Midwest Collegiate Conference play on Jan. 3 at Mt. Mercy.
- Coach Bill Gleeson's two-time national championship runner-up volleyball squad will open the 2013 season on Jan. 12 at Loyola in Chicago.
- Brad Keel, a former collegiate lacrosse player and a St. Louis area high school and club team coach, has been hired as the first head coach of a Fighting Bees men's lacrosse team scheduled to compete in 2014.
Read the Quad-City Times report about the new lacrosse coach
Read about St. Ambrose athletes helping a vet board an Honor Flight
Read about the end of the St. Ambrose-Augustana men's basketball rivalry
The Daily Dispatch takes a look at the Fighting Bees football squad might look in 2013