Study Abroad


FAQ for Faculty

How do I complete an online recommendation for a study abroad student?
When a student requests a recommendation from you, you will receive an email notification. If this is your first recommendation request, you will be provided with login information and a temporary password. 

Log on to our Recommender Portal to complete a study abroad recommendation. Your login will be your SAU email address. If this is your first recommendation request, you will receive a temporary password in your recommendation request email. You can change your password by clicking on the "My Account" tab. You can view all of your recommendations by clicking on the "My Recommendations" tab.

If this is not your first recommendation request, log on to our Recommender Portal with your SAU email address and Horizons password. Please note that this is not automatically the same password that you use for the SAU network or blackboard.
back to top

I have submitted online recommendations in the past and now I can't access my account. What should I do?
If you have trouble accessing your account, try these solutions:

  1. Make sure you log on to the Recommender Portal and not the Student Portal (default URL for Horizons). It is often helpful to save this link as a bookmark/favorite in your preferred internet search engine. 
  2. Make sure you are using your Horizons recommender password. This is not necessarily the same as your SAU network or Beeline password. If you are a leading a study abroad program, you may have a different password in the Manager Portal. These passwords are not automatically synched. If you change a password in the Manager Portal, you will also need to change it in your Recommender Portal.
  3. If you forgot your password, you can reset it by clicking the forgot password button on the Recommender Portal login screen.
  4. If you are asked to provide a verification code by entering a string of letters, make sure you provide the correct string of case sensitive letters.
  5. If you are not sent login instructions and a temporary password in your recommendation request email, the Center for International Education may have created a recommender account for you. This was done frequently when we entered paper applications into our system. In this case, try entering your first name (all lowercase letters) as your password.
  6. If none of these solutions work, please contact the Center for International Education and we would be happy to assist you.

back to top

What is the difference between the Student Portal, the Manager Portal and the Recommender Portal in Horizons?
Horizons is a web-based application system for study abroad. Different users utilize Horizons for different reasons.

  1. The Student Portal is for students to search study abroad opportunities and apply for their program(s) of choice. Faculty and Staff use the Student Portal to create new course proposals. The Student Portal is the default URL for Horizons.
  2. Once a course proposal is accepted and students begin to apply, faculty and staff use the Manager Portal to track the number of applicants and review student applications for their course. 
  3. The Recommender Portal is used by faculty and staff to submit study abroad recommendations for students. 

Passwords for each portal are not interchangeable or automatically synched. If you have an account in the Recommender Portal, you may need to change your password the first time you log in to the Manager Portal, and vice versa. If you plan to use multiple portals, it is helpful to create bookmarks for each one.
back to top

How should I begin the study abroad proposal process?
In general, all course proposals begin with at least one conversation with the Director of International Education to discuss the viability of your course idea. If you have not visited your study abroad location(s) before, you will be asked to do so before beginning the proposal process. You will be encouraged to apply for an International Initiatives Grant to help fund this preliminary trip.
back to top

What is an International Initiatives Grant?
An International Initiatives Grant is a competitive grant program awarded by the Center for International Education. These grants are open to all faculty and staff who are pursuing an international initiative that directly impacts students, such as developing a course on an international topic taught at SAU, a study abroad course, a university workshop, seminar, or presentation on an international topic, or an international music or cultural event.
back to top

How do I begin a course proposal?
Click here or visit our Faculty and Staff Resources page to find the online course proposal form.
back to top

Do I need to complete the course proposal all at once? What if I want to continue it later?
The course proposal requires a lot of information. Therefore, it is not necessary to complete it all in one sitting. Log in to your existing course proposal here. The link can also be found on our Faculty and Staff Resources page.
back to top

Why does the course proposal form ask for so much information?
A study abroad course requires the leader(s) to do much more than in a regular class. In the classroom, you must clearly define your learning objectives and specifically state how you will achieve these outcomes on the study abroad trip. But while abroad, you also are a guardian, chaperone, disciplinarian, mediator, confidante, and tour guide. Therefore, you must give a great deal of thought to how your trip will be organized, and how you will handle emergency situations.
back to top

Why must veteran study abroad leaders complete the study abroad proposal process every time they wish to lead a course?
By resubmitting a proposal, study abroad leaders are challenged to continuously refine their courses based on their experiences with previous study abroad trips.
back to top

Can I offer a study abroad program for no credit?
No. All study abroad programs organized by the Center for International Education are courses for which academic credit is offered.
back to top

Why must there be at least two leaders on every study abroad course?
This policy ensures that while abroad if a leader or a student is unable to participate in course activities, the other leader can continue to facilitate the course for the rest of the students. 
back to top

Why am I required to work closely with an on-site educational institution and/or with an approved program provider? Why can't I just "go it alone" in order to keep costs lower?
An approved program provider and/or on-site educational institution provides essential logistical support that is well worth the expense, particularly if there is an emergency.
back to top

How am I paid for my study abroad course?
You are strongly encouraged to teach the course within your ordinary course load. If you do so, then you will not earn an additional teaching salary. You will earn a per diem to pay for meals and incidental expenses that is no higher than the rate specified for your study abroad country by the US Department of State. You can choose to be paid less than the specified rate, but you will be paid no less than $15/day. You will receive your per diem check prior to departure. You normally are not asked to keep receipts.
back to top

How is the program price set?
The program price is set by the Director for International Education, in consultation with the program leaders. The program price takes into account the anticipated number of students, program leader expenses, and student expenses.
back to top

Who reviews course proposals?
Course proposals are reviewed by the Director of International Education, the Study Abroad Coordinator, your Department Chair, your Dean, the Associate Dean of University Academic Programs, and the Vice President for Finance.
back to top

After my course is approved, what happens next?
A specific course website is created on the Study Abroad website. This website includes: the course description, approved program price, application deadline, list of what is and what is not included in the program price (from the approved program proposal).
back to top

How will my course be marketed?
The course is marketed to students by faculty leader, department, and the Center for International Education. Students should always be referred to the website for the most up-to-date and reliable program information.
back to top

Who reviews student applications for my course?
Applications are reviewed by the Center for International Education and the program leader(s). Faculty leaders will be given user rights to our study abroad Manager Portal to view students' applications online. Students are sent an acceptance email from the Center for International Education outlining important dates and payment deadlines. Students who are not accepted also receive an email from the Center for International Education.
back to top