tracking pixel
Study Abroad


FAQ for Faculty

How do I complete an online recommendation for a study abroad student?
When a student requests a recommendation from you, you will receive an email notification. You use your SAU login credentials to login to the site in order to complete the recommendation.

How should I begin the study abroad proposal process?
In general, all course proposals require multiple conversations with the Director of International Education, your Dean, and your Department Chair to discuss the viability of your course idea. If you have not visited your study abroad location(s) before, you will be asked to do so before beginning the proposal process. You will be encouraged to apply for institutional grants to help fund this preliminary trip.
back to top

How do I begin a course proposal?
Visit our Faculty and Staff Resources page to find the online course proposal form.
back to top

Why does the course proposal form ask for so much information?
A study abroad course requires the leader(s) to do much more than in a regular class. In the classroom, you must clearly define your learning objectives and specifically state how you will achieve these outcomes on the study abroad trip. But while abroad, you also are a guardian, chaperone, disciplinarian, mediator, confidante, and tour guide. Therefore, you must give a great deal of thought to how your trip will be organized, and how you will handle emergency situations.
back to top

Why must veteran study abroad leaders complete the study abroad proposal process every time they wish to lead a course?
By resubmitting a proposal, study abroad leaders are challenged to continuously refine their courses based on their experiences with previous study abroad trips.
back to top

Can I offer a study abroad program for no credit?
No. All study abroad programs organized by the Center for International Education are courses for which academic credit is offered.
back to top

Why must there be at least two leaders on every study abroad course?
This policy ensures that while abroad if a leader or a student is unable to participate in course activities, the other leader can continue to facilitate the course for the rest of the students.
back to top

Why am I required to work closely with an on-site educational institution and/or with an approved program provider? Why can't I just "go it alone" in order to keep costs lower?
An approved program provider and/or on-site educational institution provides essential logistical support that is well worth the expense, particularly if there is an emergency.
back to top

How am I paid for my study abroad course?
You are strongly encouraged to teach the course within your ordinary course load. If you do so, then you will not earn an additional teaching salary. If you teach the course as an overload, you usually will receive $3000. You also will earn a per diem to pay for meals and incidental expenses that is no higher than the rate specified for your study abroad country by the US Department of State. You can choose to be paid less than the specified rate, but you will be paid no less than $15/day. You will receive your per diem check prior to departure. You normally are not asked to keep receipts.
back to top

How is the program price set?
The program price is set by the Director for International Education, in consultation with the program leaders. The program price takes into account the anticipated number of students, program leader expenses, and student expenses.
back to top

Who reviews course proposals?
Course proposals are reviewed by the Director of International Education, your Department Chair, the Internationalization Committee of your College, the Vice President for Finance, and the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs.
back to top

After my course is approved, what happens next?
A specific course brochure is created on the Study Abroad Portal. This website includes: the course description, approved program price, application deadline, list of what is and what is not included in the program price (from the approved program proposal).
back to top

How will my course be marketed?
The course is marketed to students by faculty leader, department, and the Center for International Education. Students should always be referred to the Study Abroad Portal for the most up-to-date and reliable program information.
back to top

Who reviews student applications for my course?
Applications are reviewed by the Center for International Education and the program leader(s). Faculty leaders will be given user rights to our Study Abroad Portal to view students' applications online. Students are sent an acceptance email from the Center for International Education outlining important dates and payment deadlines. Students who are not accepted also receive an email from the Center for International Education.
back to top