This program is now accepting applications for the Fall 2013 semester.
Course offerings: Nursing (Fall semester); Communications; Computer Science; International Business; Irish Studies; Humanities; Management; Marketing; Psychology; Sociology; Theology; Philosophy and Creative Arts
Download Course Offerings sheet (.pdf)
Dates: September - December or January - May
Price: $18,750 (subject to change for Spring 2013)
Financial Aid: Eligible students can use their entire SAU financial aid package (excluding work study grants) for one semester (subject to change for Spring 2013).
Carlow, Ireland (located approximately 50 miles southwest of Dublin) is an ideal setting to spend a semester abroad. As a medium-sized student town, Carlow is quaint enough to be personable, but large enough to be captivating.
Students choose from a wide variety of general education courses at Carlow College or "St. Pat's" as it's known by the locals. Nursing students can take Biology 211: Microbiology - at the Institute of Technology Carlow during the Fall semester of their sophomore year. NOTE: Nursing students must take Anatomy and Physiology prior to studying abroad in Carlow.
- "Irish Experience," a required course designed for study abroad students, will introduce you to the history and culture of Ireland. Regular field trips will enable you to explore Carlow and its neighboring towns.
- Small class sizes will allow you to get to know your professors and fellow classmates.
- Living in on-campus dormitories with Irish and other international students makes it easy to meet new people.
- Travel to Dublin in less than three hours for a taste of city life or to catch a cheap flight to Europe.
- On-site support from your Carlow College liaison and the international office at IT Carlow.
- Volunteer and Internship opportunities available upon request.
What is included
- SAU zone tuition (12-18 credits)
- On-campus housing at Carlow College (with free wi-fi)
- International Health Insurance
What is not included
- Ground transportation
- Meals and personal expenses (approximately $100-150 per week)
- Additional travel expenses
- 300 Euro visa extension (Garda) fee
- Fall Semester: April 1
- Spring Semester: October 1
How to apply
Complete the online application and submit your $500 application deposit to the Center for International Education by April 1 (Fall applicants) or October 1 (Spring applicants).
- April1, 2013: $500 deposit due (Fall applicants)
- August 10, 2013: remaining balance due (Fall applicants)
- Make checks payable to St. Ambrose University.
- The application deposit is deducted from the total program cost.
- If you are not accepted into the program, the application deposit is refundable.
- If you are accepted, the application deposit is non-refundable after October 1/April 1.
- Failure to meet payment deadlines may jeopardize your place in the program.
- Please submit your final payment to Student Account Services by December 20/August 20.
- The final payment is non-refundable after the December 20/August 20 payment deadline.