This program is now accepting applications for the Spring 2015 semester.
Course Offerings: Japanese language; Business; Economics; International Business; Marketing; International Studies; History; Sociology; Women's Studies; Communications; Theology; Philosophy; Psychology; Literature; Studio Art
Download Course Offerings sheet (.pdf)
Dates: September - December or February - May
Location: Hirakata, Japan
Price: $14,110 (tentative)
Financial Aid: Eligible students can use their entire SAU financial aid package (excluding work study grants) for one semester.
The Asian Studies Program at Kansai Gaidai University has two main components: a rigorous Japanese language program offered in the morning and a wide variety of courses in Business, Humanities, and Social Sciences offered in the afternoon. Course offerings range from topics on traditional culture to the management policies of leading Japanese companies to studio art courses. This variety affords students the opportunity to develop a broad understanding of Japan, as well as other East Asian nations.
- Conveniently located within an hour of both Osaka and Kyoto
- All courses taught in English (except Japanese language courses)
- No Japanese language experience required
- Home-stay and dormitory options
- Orientation Program
- Field trips, guest speakers and group projects
- Extracurricular activities
- Friendship programs with Japanese students
What is included
- SAU zone tuition (12-18 credits)
- International Health Insurance
- Study abroad feees
What is not included
- Housing (approximately $2,400 - $3,000 paid directly to Kansai Gaidai)
- Personal expenses and spending money
- Fall Semester: April 1
- Spring Semester: October 1
How to apply
Application deadline - October 1 (Spring applicants) or April 1 (Fall applicants)
Step 1: Complete the online application
Step 2: Fill out a Liability Form. Upload form or return the form to 313 Ambrose Hall.
Step 3: Submit your $500 application deposit to 313 Ambrose Hall (checks payable to St. Ambrose University).
Step 4: If your application is approved, follow the next steps for accepted students.
Payment deadlines and instructions
- October 1/April 1: $500 application deposit due.
Turn in your deposit to the Study Abroad Office - 313 Ambrose Hall.
Make checks payable to St. Ambrose University.
- December 20/August 20: Remaining balance due.
Make checks payable to St. Ambrose University or pay online with a credit card.
Please submit your final payment directly to Student Account Services.
Payment plans cannot be used for study abroad costs.
- The $500 deposit is refundable ONLY if you are not accepted.
- The deposit is deducted from the total program cost.
- Credit card users will incur additional service fees.
- The final payment is non-refundable after the August 20/December 20 deadline.