This program is now accepting applications for the Spring 2016 semester.
Course offerings: Nursing (Fall semester); Communications; Computer Science; International Business; Irish Studies; Humanities; Management; Marketing; Psychology; Sociology; Theology; Philosophy and Creative Arts
Dates: September - December or January - May
Financial Aid: Eligible students can use up to $4,000 of their SAU scholarship plus federal and state aid (excluding work study grants) for one semester.
Carlow, Ireland (located approximately 50 miles southwest of Dublin) is an ideal setting to spend a semester abroad. As a medium-sized student town, Carlow is quaint enough to be personable, but large enough to be captivating.
Students choose from a wide variety of general education courses at Carlow College or "St. Pat's" as it's known by the locals. Nursing students can take Biology 211: Microbiology - at the Institute of Technology Carlow during the Fall semester of their sophomore year. NOTE: Nursing students must take Anatomy and Physiology prior to studying abroad in Carlow.
- "Irish Experience," a required course designed for study abroad students, will introduce you to the history and culture of Ireland. Regular field trips will enable you to explore Carlow and its neighboring towns.
- Small class sizes will allow you to get to know your professors and fellow classmates.
- Living in on-campus dormitories with Irish and other international students makes it easy to meet new people.
- Travel to Dublin in less than three hours for a taste of city life or to catch a cheap flight to Europe.
- On-site support from your Carlow College liaison and the international office at IT Carlow.
- Volunteer and Internship opportunities available upon request.
What is included
- SAU zone tuition (12-18 credits)
- On-campus housing at Carlow College (with free wi-fi)
- International Health Insurance
What is not included
- Ground transportation
- Meals and personal expenses (approximately $100-150 per week)
- Bed Linens - students can rent linens from Carlow College (50 Euro) or purchase their own.
- Additional travel expenses
- 300 Euro visa extension (Garda) fee
How to apply
Application deadline - October 1 (Spring applicants) or April 1 (Fall applicants)
Step 1: Complete the online SAU application.
Step 2: Fill out a Liability Form. Upload the form into your online application or submit to the Center for International Education in Lower Cosgrove.
Step 3: Submit your $500 application deposit to the Center for International Education in Lower Cosgrove (checks payable to St. Ambrose University).
Step 4: If your application is approved, follow the next steps for accepted students.
Payment deadlines and instructions
- October 1: $500 deposit due (Spring applicants)
Turn in your deposit to the Center for International Education in Lower Cosgrove.
Deposit checks should be made payable to St. Ambrose University.
- December 20: remaining balance due (Spring applicants)
Turn in your final payment to Student Account Services.
Make checks payable to St. Ambrose University or pay online with credit card.
Credit card users - Indicate that the payment is for the SPRING 2015 term.
- The $500 deposit is refundable ONLY if you are not accepted.
- The $500 deposit is deducted from the total program cost.
- Failure to meet payment deadlines may jeopardize your place in the program.
- Credit card users will incur additional service fees.
- The final payment is non-refundable after December 20.