This course is now accepting applications for the Winter 2015-16 term.
Course: This program is not for credit.
Faculty Leader: Dr. Carl Herzig, Professor of English
Support Person: Stella Herzig, SAU Reference Librarian
Dates: December 28, 2015 - January 14, 2016 (subject to change)
Primary Location: Vrindavan, India
Price: $3,600 (tentative)
Application deadline: April 1, 2015
For Hindus, Vrindavan, India is a holy place of pilgrimage. It is considered to be the earthly counterpart to heaven. However, Vrindavan is also home to thousands of children in need of housing, food, fresh water, and education. By volunteering at the Sandapani Muni School, students will participate in this service, develop educational skills, and experience the faith and culture of Hinduism in its original context. Other service opportunities, such as working at a hospice and/or at an animal rescue shelter, are also available. Participants will meet three times during the Fall 2015 semester for orientation and to prepare for the trip.
What is included
- Roundtrip airfare from Moline
- Visa fees
- International health Insurance
- Taj Mahal excursion
- Ground transportation in India
- Instructor/Support Person travel expenses
- Contingency fee
What is not included
- Food and laundry (less than $15/day)
- Possible TB test upon return to the US (minimum $28)
How to apply
Application Deadline: April 1, 2015
Step 1: Complete the online application.
Step 2: Fill out the Liability Form (pdf). Return your completed Liability Form to 313 Ambrose Hall.
Step 3: Submit a $500 deposit to 313 Ambrose Hall (checks payable to St. Ambrose University)
Payment deadlines and instructions
- April 1, 2015: $500 deposit due
Turn in your deposit to the Study Abroad Office-313 Ambrose Hall. Deposit checks made payable to St. Ambrose University.
- May 1, 2015: $1,500 commitment fee due
Turn in your second payment to the Study Abroad Office-313 Ambrose Hall. Make checks payable to St. Ambrose University.
- September 1, 2015: remaining balance due
Turn in your final payment to the Study Abroad Office - 313 Ambrose Hall. Make checks payable to St. Ambrose University.
- The $500 deposit is refundable ONLY if you are not accepted or if the program is canceled.
- If you are accepted, all payments are non-refundable after each payment deadline.
- All payments are deducted from the program cost.
- Failure to meet payment deadlines may jeopardize your place in the program.
- Credit card users will incur additional service fees.
- The final payment is non-refundable after September 1.