All students, regardless of major, who have successfully earned an AA degree and attained an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher on a 4-point scale, will be admitted to SAU with junior status. All students seeking admission to the Teacher Education Program (TEP) must first apply and be accepted to SAU before applying to the TEP.
· For the TEP, a minimum GPA of 3.0 is required cumulatively, 3.0 for all education core courses, and 3.0 for major/endorsement courses. Grades of "D" or "F" are not accepted.
· Teacher education has a number of additional requirements that are enumerated by entrance year into the TEP, including minimum ACT scores. See SAU's TEP Admission Requirements.
· Before gaining full admission to the St. Ambrose TEP, students must pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators Exam. Test scores need to be available by mid-July for students entering in fall and by mid-November for students entering in spring.
· Before gaining full admission to the St. Ambrose TEP, students must also complete 50 field hours of participation on-site at an approved local school as part of a transcripted class. Field experience must be recent and it must be related to the area in which a student seeks licensure.
· Candidates who major in Elementary Education at SAU will be prepared to acquire an Iowa elementary education endorsement to be licensed to teach children in grades K-8. An approved area of concentration must be earned in one of the following areas: math, science, social studies, history, English/language arts, reading, French, German, Spanish or special education.
· Students transferring prior to completion of the AA or AS degree should also reference SAU's general education requirements or consider transferring credits back to Black Hawk to earn the AA or AS degree after matriculation to St. Ambrose.
· CLEP and Advanced Placement credit are subject to review for credit at SAU on an individual basis. Send these scores at the time you request a transcript be sent to SAU.
· A maximum of 64 community college credits will be applied toward the minimum of 120 credits required for SAU graduation. It is recommended that students use this guide in conjunction with the AA or AS degree planning worksheets or catalog requirements for graduation.
SUGGESTED COURSES - The following courses should be included within the AA/AS Degree.
|Notes||BHC Courses||Semester Hours||SAU Equivalent|
|HIST 105 or HIST 106||3||HIST 201 or HIST 202|
|1||Math - see note below||6||MATH 210|
|POLS 122||3||PSCI 101|
|BIOL 100 or 101||4||BIOL 101|
|GEOG 101 OR GEOG 102||4||GEOG 201|
|HEAL 102||2||KIN 149 (1 credit hour at SAU)|
|PE 260||3||KIN 206 (2 credits at SAU)|
|ENG 240||3||EDUC 369 (lower division credit)|
|CS 210||3||EDUC 282|
|2||PSYC 262 (spring only)||3||EDUC 284|
|MUSC 207 or CD 207||3||MUS 244|
|3||Foreign Language||0-8||Foreign Language-General Education Requirement|
|4||Philosophy 100, 101, 103, HIST 222 (see note)||3-6||Philosophy/Theology Requirement|
|5||Approved Courses for Endorsement||0-6||Consult an SAU advisor (see below)|
NOTES: Students' assessment scores might indicate the necessity of prerequisite English, math or reading courses in addition to the courses suggested in this sequence.
Before fall 2016: Enroll in MATH 100 and MATH 200. MATH 100 has an additional prerequisite of MATH 085 Plane Geometry or appropriate geometry placement score. If needed, MATH 085 can be taken concurrently with MATH 100.
Fall 2016 and later: Enroll in MATH 210. MATH 210 has a pre-requisite of MATH 112 College Algebra. For both the AA and AS degrees, consult an advisor about selecting an additional math course to fulfill BHC's general education core requirement.
*When possible, courses selected to meet general education requirements should overlap with the endorsement requirement. It is not recommended that students exceed the minimum number of 27 required elective hours at BHC.
English/Language Arts: ENG 213 or 214; THEA 210; and one literature course selected from ENG 190, 206, 208, 210, 215, 216, 218, or 219.
Mathematics: MATH 124, 161, 200 or 210, and 225.
Science: 12 hours of physical science may include: PS 101 and CHEM 110 or 101; 6 hours of biology may include: BIOL 100, 101, 105, 106, 200 or 201; 6 hours of earth/space science may include: ASTR 101, GEOG 101.
Foreign Language: FREN, GERM or SPAN 201 and 202.
Social Studies: HIST 125 or 127; ECON 221 or 222; GEOG 105; PSYC 101; SOC 101; POLS 122; HIST 105 or 106.
Social Studies History: HIST 105, 106, 125 and 127.
St. Ambrose Contact
Pat Kretchman, Academic Advisor
Black Hawk College
This guide is not intended to be a contract with SAU. The information of this guide is subject to change; students are advised to contact SAU to keep informed of changes. Final responsibility for verifying all transfer information lies with the student.
Updated: October 2016