Join a community of diverse learners
St. Ambrose University-independent, diocesan and Catholic-enables its students to develop intellectually, spiritually, ethically, socially, artistically and physically to enrich their own lives and the lives of others.
St. Ambrose will be recognized as a leading Midwestern university rooted in its diocesan heritage and Catholic Intellectual Tradition. Ambrosians are committed to academic excellence, the liberal arts, social justice and service.
- Join a community of diverse learners. We offer more than 50 undergraduate majors, 13 master programs, and three doctoral programs.
- Follow your interests, explore new opportunities, and stay busy. We boast dozens of student organizations and clubs -- something for everyone.
- Our students typically give more than 80,000 service hours each year to volunteer projects here and across the world.
- Our faculty and staff assist more than 114 organizations, serving as volunteer board and committee members.
- We value diversity and learning from each other. Our community includes students of various religious, ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- You get the attention you deserve, and won't get somewhere else. Our student to staff ratio is 11:1.
- St. Ambrose University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, for starters. Most of our undergraduate and graduate programs are individually accredited, too, which means you get a high quality education backed by the resources, facilities, and experiences to help you thrive.
Core Mission Values and Guiding Principles
We treasure and build on our strong Catholic identity in relationship with the Diocese of Davenport. As an independent institution of higher learning, St. Ambrose University embodies our faith tradition through teaching, learning, scholarship, and service, through openness to those of other faith traditions, and through the pursuit of justice and peace.
We believe that as individuals we are capable of living in the fullest measure when our lives are freely based on values that acknowledge a loving God and a life-affirming moral code. Therefore, we teach, learn, and work in a climate of mutual respect, honesty, and integrity where excellence and academic freedom are cherished.
We are committed to the richness of the liberal arts tradition through quality instruction that fosters development of a broad awareness of humanity in all its dimensions. Ambrosians use their knowledge, talents, and career skills in service to others.
We believe that people at all stages of life need educational opportunities. Therefore, we offer learning programs with student-centered teaching that lead to baccalaureate and professional graduate degrees in curricula through the doctoral level as well as non-degree offerings at the undergraduate and graduate levels. To meet the needs of our diverse student body, we use a variety of delivery systems and formats in the Diocese of Davenport, the State of Iowa, and other authorized locations. We collaborate with other organizations to offer further opportunities around the world.
We believe in the inherent God-given dignity and worth of every person. Therefore, we strive to develop an understanding of human cultures, achievements, capabilities, and limitations to promote justice and peace and use our talents in service to others and the world. We welcome people from other countries and cultures to study, learn, and work at St. Ambrose. Likewise, we encourage Ambrosians to teach, learn, engage in scholarship, and serve abroad.