Dr. Kouti's area of specialization is the morphosyntactic variation of Perfect constructions in various dialects of Spanish and the acquisition of Spanish phonological system and Spanish TAM by adult L2 learners (L1 English and/or L1 Modern Greek).
Education and Training
- PhD, University of Valladolid, Spain Spanish Linguistics
- MA, International University Menendez Pelayo, Spain Speech Sciences (Phonetics and Phonology)
- BA, University of Portsmouth, United Kingdom European Studies
- Sociolinguistics (Morphosyntactic variation)
- Second language acquisition of Spanish phonetics/phonology
- Second language acquisition with special focus on L2 input processing
- Acquisition of Tense-Aspect by adult L2 learners
- The role of formal instruction in adult L2 acquisition
- Foreign Language Pedagogy (emphasis on Spanish and Modern Greek)
- Corpus-based Contrastive Analysis (emphasis on Peninsular Spanish, English, and Modern Greek)
Kouti, M. (2017). "Cross-linguistic comparison of the tempo-aspectual system of Spanish, English, and Modern Greek". In 8th International Contrastive Linguistics Conference (ICLC8), May 25-28, 2017, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece.
Kouti, M. (2016). "Algunas observaciones sobre la gramaticalización del pretérito perfecto compuesto en el español de Uruguay". In III International Conference on Ibero-America: Los estudios latinoamericanos ante los desafios del siglo XXI, May 18-20, 2016, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece.
Kouti, M. (2010). "Signs of a 'trill' in Modern Greek? Acoustic description of the Greek rhotic sound in coda position" [in Spanish]. Estudios de Fonetica Experimental, Vol 19, 111-146.
Kouti, M. (2010). "Perception's problems of Spanish syllabic structure by Greek students learning Spanish as foreign language" [in Spanish]. redELE. No. 19, June 2010. Ministry of Spanish Education, Spain.
Kouti, M. and Chatzigiannidi, A. (2007). "Error analysis in the written interlanguage of Poles learning Greek as a Foreign Language" [in Greek]. Journal of Applied Linguistics, annual publication of the Greek Applied Linguistics Association, No 23, 23-38.
More About Dr. Kouti
SPAN 311 Advanced Spanish Grammar
SPAN 317 Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics
SPAN 315 Second Language Acquisition
SPAN 350 Special Topics in Hispanic Linguistics
SPAN 202 Readings in Spanish
SPAN 101 First Semester Spanish
SPAN 102 Second Semester Spanish
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
American Association for Applied Linguistics (AAAL)
Iowa World Language Association (IWLA)
The American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP)
National Council of the Less Commonly Taught Languages (NCLCTL)