In addition to meeting the eligibility criteria of St. Ambrose Graduate Studies, the MSW Program requires a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university with evidence of a liberal arts foundation to include the following minimum credit hours:
- social and behavioral sciences (18 hours)
- humanities (9 hours)
The Admissions Committee will review the applicant's transcript to determine if the liberal arts requirement is satisfied. The following list of liberal arts distribution areas will be used to determine where a course belongs:
- Social and Behavioral Sciences: Anthropology, Biomedical History, Communications, Economics, Environmental Studies, Geography, History, International Studies, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Urban Planning, Women's Studies, all Ethnic Studies courses.
- Humanities: Architecture, Art, Art History, Classics, Comparative Literature, Dance, Drama, English, Landscape Architecture, Linguistics, Music, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Speech Communication, all foreign languages and literature.
Additional requirements include:
- Demonstrated potential for graduate studies by maintaining a 3.0 or better undergraduate grade point average
- Preferably previous experience in the field of human services as an employee, student, or volunteer
- Evidence of interest, ability, and potential for professional social work practice on an advanced level as demonstrated by three letters of recommendation and a written personal statement.
Full-Time (Fall Start) - May 15
Part-Time (Fall Start) - August 1
Advanced Standing (Summer Start) - May 15
Advanced Standing (Spring Start) - December 1
To apply to the Master of Social Work program at St. Ambrose University, follow this process:
- Fill out the online application for SAU Graduate Studies.
- Fill out the MSW program application *This form does not save. Have your personal statement and 3 names of references ready*
- Submit three letters of reference. Send this form link to each of your THREE references.
- Submit official transcripts from all Universities attended (Send Attn: MSW Program)
- Complete the application checklist (pdf)
If you'd like a complete paper packet mailed to you, or need more information about the program, contact the School of Social Work via email at email@example.com or call 563-333-3910.
Submit all application correspondence to:
St. Ambrose University
School of Social Work
518 W. Locust St.
Davenport, IA 52803