Apply to the Nursing Program
Fall 2019 Entry: Applications are accepted August 1 - December 1 for the following year. Students will receive a letter in the mail about their admission status. 2019 Fall Application
Spring 2020 Entry: Applications will be accepted March 1 through July 1 or until the cohort has been filled. Students will receive an email about their admission status. 2020 Spring Application
RN-BSN: Click here for the RN-BSN application
All students are charged a standard fee by the University for any course with a lab component. This fee is reflected on tuition statements. Your tuition bill also will reflect the following nursing fees:
|Course No.||Course Name||Credits||Total Fee||Includes|
|NURS 335||Pathophysiology / Pharmacology I||4||$325||Level 1 fees include: lab fees, standardized testing, materials and clinical nametag|
|NURS 375||Pathophysiology / Pharmacology II
||3||$325||Level 2 fees include: lab fees, standardized testing, materials|
Nursing Process III
|3||$325||Level 3 fees include: lab fees, standardized testing, materials|
||Professional Nursing Capstone||3||$325||Level 4 fees include: lab fees, standardized testing, materials|
|Professional Nursing Capstone||3||$65||Nursing Pin|
Once admitted, what will I need?
(Uniform and equipment requirements do not apply to RN-BSN students.)
Uniform – Each student needs at least one full uniform, available only through the SAU bookstore. The uniforms are dark navy and white, easy to maintain, and very professional-looking. The uniform includes a warm-up jacket, scrub pants, and a top with the St. Ambrose Nursing Student badge that has been professionally applied.
Shoes –Uniform shoes must be all white leather. (If you choose an athletic-type of shoe and it includes an icon with a small amount of color that is usually okay). Mesh athletic shoes are not appropriate because they are difficult to keep clean.
Watch – Each nursing student needs a watch with a sweep second hand.
Stethoscope – Each nursing student needs a stethoscope. One option is MDF MD One, and it may be ordered online with 21 colors to choose from. MDF Instruments offers a discount and free shipping to all SAU nursing students who order online. This stethoscope has a lifetime warranty and a free parts-for-life program.
Textbooks – All textbooks adopted for the nursing curriculum will be stocked in the SAU bookstore. While we do realize that textbooks are expensive; we discourage renting textbooks as many of them will be used throughout the entire nursing program.
Bandage Scissors - Each student needs a pair of bandage scissors. Scissors are available for purchase in the SAU bookstore.
In preparation for obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) at St. Ambrose University, students must first complete the following courses:
1. Complete the following pre-requisite courses with a C grade or higher prior to admission to the Nursing Program.
- +BIOL 101 Principles of Biology (or higher level Biology), 4 credits (plus lab)
- BIOL 211 Introductory Microbiology, 4 credits (plus lab)
- BIOL 230 Human Anatomy and Physiology, 4 credits (plus lab)
- BIOL 232 Advanced Human Anatomy and Physiology, 4 credits (plus lab)
- +CHEM 103 Principles of Chemistry (or higher level Chemistry), 4 credits (plus lab)
- STAT 213 Applied Statistical Reasoning for the Sciences, 3 credits
- +PSYC 105 Introduction to Psychology, 3 credits
- PSYC 212 Life-Span Developmental Psychology, 3 credits
- +SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology, 3 credits
+applicable toward general education requirement
2. Complete all except 7 or fewer general education requirement credits.
3. Achieve a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher.
4. In addition to the above courses, the following are required prior to being fully accepted into and starting the Nursing Program (Nursing Admissions Requirements):
- CNA Certification must be completed before beginning nursing courses and includes a copy of active status on state registry.
- CPR Certification must be American Heart Association BLS Provider (formerly known as Healthcare provider)
- Completion of the SAU Foreign Language Requirement: 3 years of high school foreign language or 2 semesters of college-level foreign language prior to starting the Nursing Program.
- Review the health documentation requirements for acceptance in the Nursing Program.
- Meet with your advisor or the Nursing Academic Advisor/Recruiter for review.
1. Achieve a grade of C or above in ALL nursing courses and required pre-requisite and co-requisite courses. A student who receives one unsatisfactory grade (C- or lower, or Withdraw) may repeat the course one time. A student who has two unsatisfactory attempts (C- or lower and/or Withdraws) in nursing courses at any time during the program, in either the same course or in separate courses, will be dismissed from the nursing program.
2. Achieve a minimum of 74% average on all course exams. If the average exam scores for a course falls below 74%, the student will receive the exam average as the course grade.