Wellness and Recreation
The Wellness and Recreation Center officially was dedicated on Sept. 29. By then, it already felt familiar to students who had been using parts of the facility since the academic year began in August.
"It's so beautiful," sophomore nursing major and women's soccer player Katie Thielen said in a SAUtv video report. "It completely blew away my expectations. I didn't think it would be so big and so nice.
"The newly named Wellness and Recreation Department has witnessed an increase in the number of students participating in intramural programs and general recreation as a result of the facility, said Alex Bala, a senior marketing major work-study student with the department. "We've had numbers increase 15 to 20 percent," he noted.
The academic experience of students in health and wellness related majors such as Kinesiology has been amplified by new state-of-the-art labs and equipment. "We have more materials and more equipment, which is really exciting," said Emma Peeler, a junior Kinesiology major who will enroll in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program next year.
Mike Poster, the St. Ambrose vice president for finance who oversaw the design and construction of the new building, was not surprised by the students' excitement but was happy to hear it. "To really see it come to fruition and - I think more importantly - to see how students and alumni react when they see it is really gratifying," he said.
"It completely blew away my expectations. I didn't think it would be so big and so nice."
Student Katie Thielen
More About the Wellness and Recreation Center:
- Watch as Sister Joan shares details about the building and its importance to our mission in a wonderful video created by the Quad Cities Chamber of Commerce.
- Read about the facility's introduction to the community in this Quad-City Times story.
- Read about the building and its dedication in this report by The Catholic Messenger.
- Read what University leaders said about the new facility.
- The WRC: Just the Facts
- View a photographic timeline of the construction start to finish
- View a photo album of the Blessing and Dedication Ceremony
- View a Sights and Sounds video of the ceremony