Tuition and Fees
It doesn't matter if you are pursuing an undergraduate degree or a doctorate. You are making an investment in yourself and your future when you enroll at SAU. Our academic programs can prepare you to achieve all of your goals. While the cost may seem daunting at first, we are here to help.
How? Through generous financial aid packages; academic, athletic, and minority scholarships; federal and state grants; work study programs; and graduate assistantships. We work with you to develop a plan that meets your needs. We also offer a flexible tuition payment plan that does not charge interest.
Just look at the stats for our undergraduates:
- $30,614 = Undergraduate tuition for 2018-19 at St. Ambrose (12-18 credits)
- 91% of our first-year students applied for financial aid.
- 98% of our first-year students received financial aid.
- $19,056 = the average amount our first-year students received from all sources of financial aid.
For graduate students, we offer a number of assistantships that can reduce your total tuition cost and some even provide a stipend. These are not teaching assistant (TA) positions. Instead, you work side-by-side with faculty and get to use and grow your knowledge by assisting them with research and other projects. Or, by helping coach, promote, or train student athletes. Or, by working with departmental staff.
Most graduate assistantships require 10-20 hours per week. Click below to see your opportunities or contact us directly and we will tell you more.
And, some graduate programs offer scholarships; visit each program's website for more details.
AVOID A DEBT SENTENCE
The last thing any student wants to leave college with is a mountain of student loan debt. Our financial aid programs are designed to make college affordable ... before and after graduation.
St. Ambrose University sets rates for tuition and fees each fall. Tuition, fees, room and board are due each semester before students attend class, unless payment arrangements are made with the Student Account Services Office. Policies regarding financial aid can be found on the Financial Aid Policies page.
All students attending St. Ambrose University pay a technology fee based upon courseload. Some courses carry additional fees.
- Undergraduate/Accelerated students taking 12 or more credit hours $280/yr. ($140/semester)
- Undergraduate/Accelerated students taking 11 or less credit hours $140/yr. ($70/semester)
- Graduate level students taking 9 or more credit hours $280/yr. ($140/semester)
- Graduate level students taking 8 or less credit hours $140/yr. ($70/semester)
- Online course fee $25/credit hour
Rates for graduate students vary by program. Choose your program:
- Master of Accounting
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Criminal Justice
- Master of Early Childhood Education
- Master of Organizational Leadership
- Master of Pastoral Theology
- Master of Physician Assistant Studies
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Science in Exercise Physiology
- Master of Science in Information Technology Management
- Master of Social Work
- Master of Speech-Language Pathology
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Doctor of Occupational Therapy
- Doctor of Physical Therapy
Rates are effective starting with the fall semester and run through the summer semester.
Attend ACCEL's accelerated courses part-time and you receive reduced tuition: save over $1,000 for every 3-credit course!
Commit to full-time study through ACCEL and you're eligible for academic scholarships. If you recently decided to attend as a full-time student, please consult with your admissions counselor about receiving an academic scholarship.
Part-time students (1-11 credits)
- Any class 8 weeks or less, $547/credit
- Any class 9 weeks or more, $915/credit
Full-time students (12-18 credits)
2018-19 per semester
- Traditional Hall, double (Davis double, Davis single): $2,385
- Traditional Hall, double (Cosgrove): $2,885
- Traditional Hall, double (Bechtel, Franklin, North, Rohlman): $3,310
- Preferred Housing, double or single (Houses): $3,700
- Preferred Housing, double (Tiedemann, townhouse, McCarthy): $3,800
- Preferred Housing, single (North): $3,935
- Preferred Housing, single (Hagen): $4,120
- Super Single* (for students who want to be the sole occupant in a double room)
- Davis: $3,100
- Cosgrove: $3,600
- Bechtel, Franklin, North Traditional, Rohlman: $4,025
- Tiedemann, Townhouse, McCarthy: $4,750
Housing Deposit: $250
- 7 Meals + $100 spending/per semester: $1,545
- 10 Meals + $100 spending/per semester: $1,880
- 14 Meals + $100 spending/per semester: $2,080
- 19 Meals + $100 spending/per semester: $2,250
- Flex 160 + $100 spending/per semester: $2,155
Students who live on campus are required to choose a meal plan.
Meal Plan Changes and Appeals
Meal plan change and appeal processes are available on the Housing Options and Meal Plans portal page.
If you would like to receive a copy of your signed housing contract, please email email@example.com.
Most of our graduate programs offer graduate or departmental assistantships, which might include stipends or tuition benefits. Graduate assistantships typically contribute 20 hours of work each week, and their appointments may be anywhere on campus, including:
- Research with College of Business faculty members
- Handle public relations with the sports media
- Organize Wellness and Recreation activities and events
- Coordinate and develop student activities
To learn more about a graduate assistantship opportunity or inquire about open positions, please contact Human Resources.
St. Ambrose has partnered with Sallie Mae to offer an opt-in tuition insurance plan. Participation in the tuition insurance plan is optional and St. Ambrose University does not administer the program. The University's withdrawal and refund policies are applicable whether or not you enroll in the tuition insurance plan.
Each year thousands of college students are unable to complete classes for the semester due to unforeseen medical issues such as illness, accidents, concussions, or issues related to mental health.
Unfortunately, in many cases these families are unable to recoup all of their tuition dollars. At St. Ambrose, depending on the timing of the withdrawal, there may be circumstances where you may not be eligible to receive a full refund of your tuition and fees. We understand these types of situations can be a financial hardship for many families. Therefore, we are pleased to make available the Tuition Refund Insurance plan.
Tuition Refund Insurance can help refund your tuition, fees, and room/board charges - up to the policy limits - if you are unable to complete the semester due to a covered medical reason such as an illness, accident, or mental health issue (two-day hospital stay required for mental health related issues). This insurance program complements and enhances our school's refund policy, and we believe families will benefit from this added protection.
Visit GradGuard for more information.