tracking pixel
Safety & Security Office



Where are you located and when are you open?
Security is located on the second floor of the Rogalski Center and is staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The campus is regularly patrolled by trained personnel. There are always two Security Officers working on campus. To provide this service SAU uses a combination of non-sworn officers, sworn officers (off duty Davenport Police Officers and Scott County Sherriff Deputies), student officers and contract guards.
back to top

When should I contact your office?
Contact us anytime you have a question or need help. Call immediately anytime you see something you believe is suspicious, potentially dangerous, or criminal. If you have been the victim of a crime we also encourage you to contact the Davenport Police Department.
back to top

How can I contact you?
If you are in danger, have been injured, need to report a life threatening situation, or see a crime in progress dial 911 from any campus phone. There are blue light phones placed strategically around campus. Pressing the button on these phones activates a 911 call and sends your location to Security. An officer is immediately dispatched to help you. For all other concerns or requests call 563/333-6104. You may also contact the Director Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. by dialing 563/333-6260.
back to top

How does the University control access to facilities?
Controlling access to campus facilities is the first tier in providing for a safe secure environment. All members of the community are responsible in ensuring doors are not propped and that guests follow the appropriate policy for that building. Security locks academic buildings at 10 p.m. and unlocks them at 6 a.m. Residence halls are locked at all times. During this time, a guard is posted at the front desk of each building. The exceptions to this policy are the townhouse apartments and houses. These areas do not have a front desk and are responsible for keeping their doors locked at all times. Hosts should escort their guests at all times, and both parties are responsible for conduct during visits.
back to top

Can I get an escort on campus?
Yes, only between locations on the main campus. This free service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Escorts are provided by uniformed personnel. Please understand that due to campus emergencies and incidents escorts are sometimes delayed. If there is a delay, we inform you when you call.
back to top

Do you provide any educational programs?
We offer a number of programs each semester. The intent of these programs is to raise the awareness and enhance the safety of campus community members. These programs consist of general campus safety, risk reduction, personal protection and computer/internet safety. To request a program contact Security. We also coordinate a women's self defense class for credit. The program called Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) is offered by nationally-certified instructors.
back to top

How will I know about crime on campus?
Alerts will be issued using a combination of posters, campus email, and web pages. In situations that require immediate action by members of the campus community to protect themselves or property, or that require the closing of any university facilities, a campus alert using text messages, email, and phones will be deployed.
back to top

What can I do to enhance my safety while on campus?
Being safe takes active participation of everyone, and even the best planning cannot prevent all crime. To reduce your risk:

  • Lock rooms, offices and cars when you leave, even for a few minutes. Thieves can take your property and be gone in a matter of seconds. Keep first floor windows locked and curtains closed when you are not there.
  • Do not leave personal belongings unattended in public areas.
  • Record the serial number, make, and model of any items of value and make two copies of the information. Keep one in a safe location off campus. This information can be invaluable in helping to catch the perpetrator and identify stolen property
  • Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the country. Make sure to properly dispose of any documents with sensitive information such as your bank account or credit card numbers. Be very careful when giving out personal information such as bank account, or social security numbers to vendors and never give it out over the phone. Be careful what information you post in areas such as Facebook or Myspace as these sites can be accessed by almost anyone and the information you provide can help them target you.
  • Sales by non-SAU organizations are not allowed in the Residence Halls. If someone approaches you to sell an item do not give them any information and contact Security immediately.
  • There is safety in numbers. Travel in groups. When this is not possible, get a Security escort to any place on campus.
  • If you attend a social gathering know the content of anything you ingest. Open your own cans or bottles, and keep it in sight at all times. Do not drink from common sources such as punch bowls. Today criminals have a variety of drugs that can facilitate crimes. If you or someone you know is drugged get to a safe location and immediately get medical attention. Contact the Davenport Police or Security as soon as possible. 
  • Be aware of your surroundings. Avoid potentially dangerous situations or persons. Trusting your instincts and using common sense are your best protective techniques. 
  • Any time you notice suspicious activity or persons, call Security as soon as possible.

back to top

    Do I need a permit to park on campus?
    Yes, from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. every faculty, staff, or student vehicle (even if you are taking only 1 class) must have a valid SAU parking permit to park on property owned or operated by SAU. This includes all parking lots, driveways and roadways. You must park only in designated areas; if it is not explicitly marked as a parking area then it is not available.
    back to top

    Where can I park if I am not faculty, staff, or student?
    Visitor parking is available in the Cosgrove Hall lot and in designated spaces in the Rogalski Center. Click here to view a campus map with parking lots. If all these spaces are full or you have an extended stay, please contact Security at 563/333-6104. 
    back to top

    How do I buy a permit?
    Temporary permits are available in Security located in the Rogalski Center, and long-term permits are only available online.
    back to top

    Does a permit guarantee a space?
    No, there are times when the lots may be full. If this happens you will need to find legal parking on the street. We try to minimize these disruptions but please plan additional time to make sure you can find parking.
    back to top

    Where can I park on campus?
    Students can park in any lot designated as student parking. Areas for visitors and faculty/staff are not available for students.
    back to top

    Can I get a permit if someone is coming to visit?
    Temporary permits are available in Security for a nominal charge. Please call 333-6104 for more information.
    back to top

    What should I do if I have a vehicle break down or flat tire?
    Immediately notify Security at 563/333-6104 if you find your vehicle is inoperable. Often times we can lend a helping hand or help you find the phone number to a garage. This is particularly important to avoid tickets if you have broken down and are in a faculty/staff or visitor lot.
    back to top

    What should I do if my car is damaged or broken into?
    Immediately contact Security and the Davenport Police. Do not move your car before contacting these agencies. If you are not sure how to contact the police we can help.
    back to top

    Do you ticket cars on campus?
    Yes, in order to help make space available for those who have purchased a permit and to help keep the campus safe, tickets may be issued every four hours until the vehicle is moved.
    back to top

    How do I appeal a ticket?
    Ticket appeals are generated electronically by following the instructions at You cannot appeal a ticket until one business day has passed and tickets must be appealed within seven days of the date of issue. Tickets older then seven days may not be granted an appeal.
    back to top

    How do I pay a ticket?
    You may pay for tickets online at or in the Student Accounts office. If paying in person, please bring the ticket with you.
    back to top

    Do you tow or immobilize cars?
    Unauthorized vehicles in the following areas can be towed at the owner's expense: disabled spaces, fire lanes, 24-hour reserved areas, faculty staff lots or those vehicles found blocking roadways and garage doors. Additionally vehicles found on sidewalks, lawns, blocking other vehicles or those with $100 or more in unpaid fines are subject to being towed.
    back to top

    Do you have disabled parking?
    Yes, there are a number of spaces designated. Contact Security or the Office of Disability Services for more information. If you have an injury and need temporary special accommodations please contact the Office of Disability services.
    back to top