• Students who wish to enter the MOT Program are encouraged to contact the SAU OT Department at the start of their college career or earlier to obtain program information and advice on course sequence and selection.
• SAU's MOT program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) of the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA).
• The MOT program requires five semesters of professional study on campus followed by 24 weeks of full time field experience.
• Students may enter the program as an undergraduate or graduate student; however, students planning to take credits toward their baccalaureate degree while enrolled in the MOT Program may have no more than nine credits outstanding toward that degree by the time MOT coursework begins. Students may need to enroll in summer and interim sessions to complete this course of study within five years.
• Students must provide documentation - on official letterhead and signed by a registered occupational therapist - of 50 hours of volunteer OT experience completed within the past 5 years in at least two different OT settings. Applicants may receive some credit from employment in an occupational therapy setting with approval from the MOT program.
• Students wishing to complete the Associate in Arts degree prior to transferring to SAU should include the OT program prerequisites below within the AA/AS Degree at Black Hawk College. Students wishing to transfer to SAU prior to earning the AA/AS degree should refer to SAU's general education requirements.
• Applicants to the Master of Occupational Therapy Program must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or higher at the time of application and upon enrollment in the professional program. The program is very competitive and only the top 32 applicants are admitted.
• Applications to the program may be completed at any time; however, the program only will process applications Oct. 1 through Dec. 1 for the following fall. Applications are submitted online using the Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service (OTCAS) at www.otcas.org. An application fee of $125.00 is required for the first application and $45.00 for each additional program application.
Pre-requisite Courses for Students Seeking Admission to SAU Master of Occupational Therapy Program
The following pre-requisite coursework must be completed with a grade of C or higher and with a minimum combined GPA of at least 3.0 (4.0 scale). All pre-requisite courses must be completed no later than the end of May prior to beginning the MOT Program in August.
|BHC Courses||SH||SAU Equivalent|
|BIOL 145 (must be in progress or completed at the time of application to the MOT program)||4||BIO 202|
|BIOL 146||4||BIO 204|
|*MATH 228||3||STAT 213|
|Social Science Requirement - PSYC 101||3||PSYC 105|
|Social Science Requirement - PSYC 200||3||PSYC 305 - Lifespan Developmental Psychology (will not count toward the 300-level requirement)|
|PHIL 103||3||PHIL 207|
|BIOL 150 (or competency)||3||HS 250 (1 hour @SAU)|
Students entering MATH 228 must have completed MATH 112 College Algebra or the equivalent.
This guide is not intended to be a contract with SAU. The information of this guide is subject to change; students are advised to contact SAU to keep informed of changes. Final responsibility for verifying all transfer information lies with the student. Using this guide in conjunction with the BHC Catalog, the student will use to fulfill degree requirements.
St. Ambrose Contact
Black Hawk Contact
Mary Anne Dockery-Jackson
Updated: September, 2014