Minimum Program Requirements
The minimum cumulative undergraduate and prerequisite GPA required is 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale) for 18 or more semester hours in a science based graduate curriculum. Contact the PT Department at 563/333-6403 regarding acceptable graduate course.
Track II Specific Requirements
Track II is a "3+2.5" plan of study (three years of undergraduate study plus 2.5 years in the DPT Program). First year DPT courses are applied toward completion of the undergraduate degree, which must be awarded prior to the beginning of the second year of the DPT Program. Students from institutions other than SAU may also utilize Track II. Track II students must have completed all bachelor's degree requirements in their major other than those to be completed in the first year of the DPT Program. Students from institutions other than SAU will need a letter from the respective Registrar's Office indicating that the first year of DPT courses will be credited toward the bachelor's degree and that the bachelor's degree will be awarded prior to the start of the second year in the DPT Program.
Track III Specific Requirements
Individuals who are in their senior year of college or hold a bachelor's degree may apply using Track III, the "4+2.5" plan of study (four years of undergraduate work plus 2.5 in the DPT Program). The bachelor's degree must be awarded prior to the fall they anticipate entering the DPT Program from an accredited four-year college or university.
Track II / III Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for Track II or Track III, applicants are required to:
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of "C" or above prior to enrollment in the DPT Program. Applicants who will not complete the prerequisites by the date of their application submission must provide a detailed plan for completion of the remaining courses found in the Supplemental Application portion of the PTCAS Application.
- Attain a minimum 3.0/4.0 cumulative and prerequisite GPA in all undergraduate coursework or a minimum cumulative graduate GPA of 3.25 / 4.0 for 18 or more semester hours in an approved graduate science degree program.
- Document at least 50 hours of observation with licensed physical therapists in two or more physical therapy settings to include inpatient and outpatient.
- Complete the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and submitted official results to PTCAS.
- Submit an application to SAU through the Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). www.ptcas.org
- Submit official transcripts from all undergraduate institutions attended through PTCAS.
- Submit two references from individuals well acquainted with the applicant through PTCAS.
- All international students are required to submit official results from the TOEFL exam and must score at least 600 (written), 250 (computerized) or 100 (internet).
- International students are required to have their transcripts evaluated through the World Education Services (WES).
- Complete an acceptable on-site personal interview with SAU DPT faculty members.
Deadlines for College Students
- Early Honors Decision Deadline is October 1 - for persons with > 3.7 cumulative GPA, 300 combined GRE, & 50% of prerequisite course work completed
- Spring Decisions Deadline is December 1 - for persons with > 3.0 cumulative GPA
Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS)
Students applying through Track II and III will use Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service (PTCAS). The PTCAS allow students to complete a single application. The application is then sent to programs the students has chosen to apply to (as long as that school participates in PTCAS). Students will send their transcripts to PTCAS for transcript analysis and references will submit their forms through PTCAS. The application fee for PTCAS is$140 for the first program the application is sent to and then another $40 for each additional program. All fees are collected through PTCAS.
Students can visit www.ptcas.org to start their application process. Specific details on what SAU requires for the application process are listed below and can also be found on PTCAS.
- Visit www.ptcas.org to begin the application process. All requested information must be submitted to PTCAS by the SAU application deadline. Through PTCAS you will submit the following information:
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education that you have attended. Do not send your transcripts to SAU.
- Two references. A form will be provided by PTCAS for the persons providing the references to complete. Please note that if another school you are applying to requests more than two references, SAU will receive all the references submitted.
- Personal essay. PTCAS will list the specific requirements of the essay.
- Documentation of a minimum of 50 hours of clinical observation in two or more physical therapy practice settings, including inpatient and outpatient, with licensed physical therapists.
- Official results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). These must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to PTCAS (SAU code #7742).
After applications are received and reviewed, a personal on-site interview will be scheduled for selected applicants. Please note that due to the competitiveness of the program, not all applicants will be invited for an interview.
For more information about the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, contact our department at 563/333-6403 or email at email@example.com.