Veteran Services

Frequently Asked Questions

Complete the Veterans Worksheet to request more information

Q: I am a veteran and qualify for benefits. Should I still complete the FAFSA?
A: Yes. You may be eligible for federal and state aid in addition to your Veteran Educational Benefits.

Q: I've never attempted to use benefits before. Where do I start?
A: First things first: Please visit the GI Bill website, choose your benefit type, and complete the online application through

Once the VA has processed your application, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Send a copy of this, along with a copy of the Veterans Worksheet (see above), to the SAU Veterans and Recruitment Office. 

The office also needs a copy of your Member-4 DD-214 (military separation/discharge paper) or your NOBE (DD-2384 - Notice of Basic Eligibility) and any Kickers you received.

Q: I made a change in my enrollment. Should I notify the Veterans Coordinator?
A: Yes! Changes in enrollment can affect your G.I. Bill® benefits, including the risk of overpayment and personal debt to the VA. Always let the SAU Veterans Coordinator know ASAP if you make any change to your schedule. Contact information is on the right side of this page.

Although Post-9/11 G.I. Bill tuition and fees are paid directly to the university, overpayments resulting from enrollment changes will be charged to the student.

Generally, it's best to discuss any enrollment changes with the Veterans Coordinator (contact listed on the right) before making them to avoid unnecessary complication or loss of benefits. This includes adding or dropping a class and withdrawal from the University.

Q: I am considering switching to the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® and I understand that the transfer is irrevocable. How does the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill compare to my current G.I. Bill?
A: It can't always be assumed that the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill is the best option for everybody. In many cases, it's best to exhaust a previous benefit before switching. You can contact the VA at 888-442-4551 to discuss pros and cons. Use this comparison tool on the VA website.

Q: Will the SAU Veterans Coordinator be able to tell me if I am eligible for a G.I. Bill®?
A: No. This can only be determined by the VA after you apply for the benefit. It is always recommended that individuals who are potentially eligible for benefits submit an application to the VA. However, the Coordinator can assist you with the application process and inform you about the different types of education benefits.

Q: I am enrolled as a part-time student. Can I still use my Post-9/11 G.I. Bill®?
A:Yes. For part-time students, payments for tuition/fees and book stipend are pro-rated based on the number of credit hours in which you are enrolled.

Students with a "Rate of Pursuit" greater than 50% are eligible for a monthly housing stipend. "Rate of Pursuit" is calculated by the VA. For questions, contact the VA at 888-GIBILL1

Full-time = 12 or more credit hours (undergraduate); 9 or more credit hours (graduate)
Part-time = 11 or fewer credit hours (undergraduate); 8 or fewer credit hours (graduate)

Q: Does the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® pay for room and board at SAU?
A: No. The monthly housing stipend, or other eligible financial assistance, can be used for this expense. The Post-9/11 G.I. Bill will only pay for tuition and fees at St. Ambrose University.

Q: My parent is a veteran. Do I have some type of educational benefit?
A: Not necessarily. In order to qualify for Chapter 35 Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance, a parent needs to have died or have a 100% VA disability rating due to active military service. If your parent is a Post-9/11 veteran, there is a Transfer of Entitlement Program for children and spouses. The transfer requires a 10-year commitment and must be completed while the Service member is on Active Duty.

Q. I used up all of my G.I. Bill® benefits before the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill program began. Can I still apply for the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill?
A: Yes. If you used all 36 months of the Montgomery G.I. Bill and have at least 90 days of cumulative active duty service after 9/10/11, you may qualify for an additional 12 months of the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill. Individuals cannot receive more than a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs.

You are encouraged to complete the application for the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® benefit, and let the VA determine your eligibility.

Q: I don't begin classes until late August. Will I receive the full month of my Post-9/11 G.I. Bill® housing allowance?
A: No. Housing allowance payments are pro-rated by the VA based on the number of days in the month you are actually enrolled. For example: If classes start on the 15th, then you only will receive housing allowance for the 15th through the end of the month.

Q. What is the university's policy on students called to Active Duty?
A. St. Ambrose University recognizes that during times of national emergencies, students in the National Guard and Reserves might be called to active service. SAU has developed the following options for students in the military service called to active duty:

1. Withdraw the student from classes for the current term at 100% refund of tuition and mandatory fees.


2. Make arrangements with the student's instructors for course grades or incompletes that shall be completed by the student at a later date. If such arrangements are made, the student's registration shall remain intact and tuition and mandatory fees shall be assessed for the courses in full.

The above options also apply to the spouse of a deployed service member with a dependent child, in the case when the spouse is the student.

If you have questions regarding this policy or need to withdraw from classes based on a military obligation, please contact me ASAP. If you have questions concerning your Financial Aid package, please contact Bee Central at 563-333-5775.

Q: I have questions that have not been answered here. Where can I go for answers?
A: For questions or concerns about using Veterans Education Benefits at St. Ambrose University, please email Natalie Woodhurst, Coordinator of Veterans Services, or call 563-333-5721.

Complete the Veterans Worksheet


Natalie Woodhurst

Veterans and Recruitment Services
Ambrose Hall 317B
518 W. Locust St.
Davenport, IA 52803

So, what's next?

Are you ready to take the next step? Click on the visit button below to learn more about our virtual and in-person visit options.