Learn and Travel
As Ambrosians, we are committed to a lifetime of learning.
Our learning opportunities run the gamut of subjects and costs, including a 10-day excursion to Italy to study the life of our patron namesake and free academic discussions on the university campus. Some alumni even choose to audit courses! We also provide a variety of virtual presentations throughout the year.
Review the opportunities listed below. If you have questions, please contact our office.
St. Ambrose University Professional Development provides public and customized training and consulting solutions to individuals and businesses. Academically-based with real world applicability, training topics include grant writing, project management, and leadership and supervision.
To talk about our current classes or explore a customized program, call us at 563-333-5720.
Ambrose's Italy: Alumni & Friends Trip
The Alumni Italy Study Tour to Italy is no ordinary excursion! We will provide a knowledgeable tour guide to lead participants through back streets and alleys in some of Italy's most beloved cities.
Filled with rich history and culture, this trip will require participants to do as much thinking as walking! Throughout this intensive visit, you will be intellectually, spiritually, socially, physically, and artistically enriched. If you are interested in immersing yourself in the life of our Patron Saint, Ambrose of Milan, then this is the experience for you!
Trip Dates: To Be Determined
City Stops: Rome, Assisi, Florence, and Milan
Top Destinations: Tomb of Saint Ambrose, The Scavi, Sistine Chapel, Uffizi, Colosseum, and much more!
Cost: Price of last trip was $3,000 per person. A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 will be required to secure your place on the trip (due as soon as possible and accepted until capacity is full).
Number of attendees: This tour is limited in order to enhance the experience of the participants through ease of travel and access to the guide.
Reservations: Currently we are maintaining a list of people for a future trip - please contact the Alumni Office at 563-333-6290 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Daily Itinerary: (Sample from a previous trip in 2020)
Day 1 - Depart USA
Day 2 - Arrive in Rome, Rome sightseeing and reception
Day 3-5 - Rome sightseeing
Day 6 - Travel to Assisi, Assisi sightseeing
Day 7 - Travel to Florence, Florence sightseeing
Day 8 - Florence sightseeing
Day 9 - Travel to Milan, Milan sightseeing
Day 10 - Milan sightseeing
Day 11 - Depart from Milan
- Our knowledgeable tour guide will lead an annual study abroad course in Italy, and knows the back streets and obscure stories.
- You will experience many of the world's greatest art collections, ancient ruins, colossal architecture, sacred sites, and intimate cultural details. While this is not an academic course, you will be intellectually, spiritually, socially, physically, and artistically enriched.
- This is an "athletic" course that will require participants to walk several hours a day for several days in a row in all conditions. Accommodations are modest. There will be some free time each day.
- The tour is part of St. Ambrose University's initiative to establish the university as a prominent international center for the study of our patron saint. You will end with a much deeper appreciate of Ambrose of Milan, his theology, and his times.
$3,000 per person. A non-refundable deposit of $1,000 to secure your place on the trip (due as soon as possible and accepted until capacity is full). The non-refundable balance of $2,000 due in February. The amount is payable to St. Ambrose University.
- Hotels stays for 10 nights (double occupancy)
- Train fare between cities
- Admission to approximately 10 museums
- Transportation expenses in Milan and Rome
- Welcome reception in Rome
- One meal per city
- One fabulous scholar to lead the daily activities!
Additional Out-of-pocket Expenses (Price estimates are those provided prior to 2020 - approx. $2,000 per person)
- Flight arriving to Rome and departing from Milan (approximately $1,500)
- Majority of meals (approximately $400)
- Museum entrance fees to a few of the less expensive museums or places you might be interest in visiting during your free time ($100)
These estimates are dependent on exchange rates, how much you eat and drink, and personal shopping. If money remains from the fees paid to St. Ambrose, we will make a donation to the Academy for the Study of Saint Ambrose of Milan (ASSAM).