Make a Referral
As a faculty or staff member, you may be one of the first to become aware of personal difficulties affecting a student.
Consider referring a student to the Counseling Center or submitting a CARE Report if you notice any of these warning signs:
- A student seems excessively tired, anxious, depressed, irritable, angry, or sad
- You find yourself doing more personal counseling than academic advising with a student
- A student seems hopeless or helpless
- You notice marked changes in a student's appearance or habits, for example, deterioration in grooming, hygiene, weight loss, interpersonal withdrawal, acceleration in activity or speech, or change in academic performance
- A student's thoughts or actions appear bizarre or unusual
- A student's use of alcohol or other substances interferes with her/his relationships or work
As a student, if you are concerned about a friend, reach out to your Resident Advisor, your Hall Director, or SAU Security. Please know that if we consult on a referral we will not be able to share information back to you as it will be confidential.
Finally, if you are in-need and the counseling center is unavailable, please call the Mobile Crisis Line at 844-430-0375. They are available 24/7 for any crisis. A crisis is any stress or pressure that has become too great for you to cope with alone.
Counseling Center Portal Page
In addition to numerous online resources about mental health for college students, SAU students are encouraged to visit the Career Center's portal page for even more resources.